WASCAL (the West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use) is research and education-focused institution designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of eleven West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo, and Cabo Verde.
WASCAL seeks to recruit a Project Administrator and Research Assistant at its Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The ideal candidate will be required to serve WASCAL by explicitly providing support to two projects: (1) PPeDMaS (Precision Pest and Disease Management System based on Multidimensional Big Data) and (2) the iGST (Independent Global Stocktake) West African Regional Hub project, under the guidance of the Projects’ Leader.
The PPeDMaS project aims to use big multidimensional data on climatic and environmental variables and biophysical parameters of crops to develop a robust set of management tools for common pests and diseases that affect maize, tomato, and onion production in Burkina Faso. Thus, it will provide innovative digital services for pest management, leading to improved food security in the country. The project is funded by European Union (EU) through the ACP Innovation Fund of the Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS) (Grant Ref: FED/2020/420-491)
The iGST West African Regional Hub project will lead advocacy on climate change ambition in West Africa. This will be done by providing a common platform for engagement/exchanges among civil society climate actors in the region to push together for a robust Global Stocktake that empowers ECOWAS countries to take more excellent climate action for the benefit of our societies. ClimateWorks Foundation funds the project.
The incumbent will support project administration, research, managing travel logistics, data management and social media. About 35% of staff time will be dedicated to the PPeDMaS project, while the remaining will be devoted to the iGST West African Regional Hub project.
Key responsibilities include, among other things:
- Prepare documentation and participate in project meetings
- Manage and respond to correspondence from stakeholders related to the project
- Schedule and organize meetings with the project team and stakeholders
- Take minutes of meetings and follow up action items with responsible persons
- Liaise with project stakeholders for information
- Collate information for progress reports compilation
- Draft presentations for the principal researchers to engage with stakeholders
- Keep a record of expenditure items and review project ledgers compared to project expenditure.
- Undertake logistical arrangements for meetings and travel (e.g., flights, accommodation, catering, venue) and procure other relevant services
- Facilitate payment of internal and external claims to finance department
- Undertake desktop research and compile draft literature reviews
- Assist principal researchers in data collection and transcription
- Contribute to project reports and publications
- Scan publications to identify initiatives or information related to the project.
- Maintain WASCAL branding and standards through all partnerships in meetings and documentation.
- Undertake any other duties as directed by the Projects’ Leader and as relevant to the mandate of WASCAL
The minimum educational qualification required for the position is a bachelor’s degree in administration, project management or a related field.
Other experiences required include:
- Minimum of three years experience in programme and project administration
- Demonstrated experience in providing research support in projects
- Demonstrated experience in drafting concept notes and drafting proposals
- Knowledge of global climate policy
- Competency in data handling and filing
- Experience in managing social media in a professional capacity is preferable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- High level of proficiency in computer programs (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
This position is a 12-month fixed-term agreement position, with a possibility of extension contingent on the project’s progress. The remuneration package for this position will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please submit a letter of application and an updated CV with contact details of three referees to email@example.com by the due date of 4th March 2022. Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries. Only applications from candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered.
Correspondence will only be entered with candidates who have been shortlisted.