Location: WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Duration of contract: 3 years fixed term renewable contract
Date of publication 20th June, 2020
Closing date 20th August, 2020
Supervisor Director of Research
WASCAL seeks to hire Communications officer to work directly on its Renewable Energy Priority Research Theme. The position holder will work under the communication unit and closed collaboration with the Regional Coordinator of the PRT-RE. He will support the overall communication efforts at the competence Center, in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso where the position shall be based.
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL with support from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (BMBF) and in partnership with the ECOWAS Regional Centre on Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE), is implementing a Renewable Energy Priority Research Theme in the West African sub-region. WASCAL therefore seeks to fill the position of Communications Officer (Multi-lingual). The successful candidates will be expected to:
- Support the development and implementation of the Renewable Energy Research Theme Communications Strategy and plans.
- Develop and manage stakeholder and consortium database through dissemination of information
- Provide visibility of the WASCAL Renewable Energy Project through media relations in the West African sub-region
- Coordinate communication and dissemination actions, events and workshops to stakeholders
- Contribute to and coordinate project report writing
- Produce annual technical and financial reports of the Renewable Energy project as required by the donors.
- Coordinate the translation technical project information into the different languages o four member countries and partners as deems necessary
- Develop and produce marketing and publicity materials to be used for various activities
- Any other activity that may be assigned
- Create and manage web page and social media accounts of each projects of the Research theme
- Contribute to the communication efforts of WASCAL at the competence Center
Desired Skills and Experience
- Masters’ in communication, public relations, marketing and or related any related field
- At least five years post qualification experience
- Experience in working in donor funded projects
- Demonstrable verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and French.
- Proven experience in social media information design, website management and Design/infographics,
- Familiar with press and media conferences and management
- High Decree of initiative and self-motivation
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team
- Work experience in West-African countries and willingness to travel
- Knowledge of German and or Portuguese will be advantage
Applications including a covering letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation, and highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list a publications, with names addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional referees should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries.
Applications will be accepted up to the 30th August, 020. Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.