Location: WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Duration of contract: 3 years fixed term renewable contract
WASCAL seeks to hire Data Management Scientist to consolidate its position as a leading Regional Research Partner Institution in West Africa and to expand into new areas of work relevant to climate science, climate services and societal impacts. The position will be based at the WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo and Cape Verde.
WASCAL has its headquarters in Accra, Ghana, the Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and 12 graduate schools (PhD and MSc. Programs) in 12 host universities in across West Africa.
The WASCAL Research Program is aiming to (i) develop qualitative and quantitative tools and models for linking bio-physical and socio-economic processes and feed-backs; (ii) use these models and tools to develop and analyse impact scenarios of climate change including the assessment of alternative land use options as a means to help society cope with the vagaries of climate change, both in climate trends as well as climate variability and extreme events and (iii) facilitate collaboration with research and donor institutions and organizations in West Africa to commonly identify constraints to adaptation and mitigation strategies in land use and how to master these.
The Data Management Scientist will report to the Director of Competence Centre/Head of research management and service provision. The successful candidate will be in charge of the WASCAL Data Management team will perform the following duties among others:
- Providing senior professional leadership to IT systems, including data management software;
- Supervision and control of the data infrastructure in order to warrant its consistent and stable operation for data maintenance and access, data interpretation and scenario analysis;
- Developing concepts and data management plans for system extensions in terms of software architecture, database modeling, data cleansing, interface design according to changing demands of research carried out in the framework of WASCAL, and managing of their implementation;
- Co‐ordination of data delivery in cooperation with WASCAL‐internal and ‐external data providers in compliance with WASCAL’s data policy;
- Representation of the CC data management within WASCAL, and with partner organizations and programs;
- Planning, coordination and administration of data management consultancy and training programs with scientific staff members at the CC as well as in association with responsible persons responsible at partner organizations;
- Conduct of training and outreach activities to promote CC data management to the various stakeholders in the region. Provide technical support in the application of funding for WASCAL programmes
- Represent the department at meetings
Desired Skills and Experience
- PhD in computer science, geo-informatics, information technology, or in another field closely related to management of research data
- Sound practical experiences (minimum 10 years) with data management systems for heterogeneous (scientific) data.
- Ability to support the development of climate services, data services and set up a maintain the IT equipment
- Ability to work in a flexible manner
- High Decree of initiative and self-motivation
- Good track record in resource mobilization and research proposal development
- Experience in developing training materials and organizing and conducting trainings
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working and interacting effectively with a variety of stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to collaborate well across disciplines and with key collaborative institutions and agencies
- Research experience in interdisciplinary working environments
- Strong publication and record in peer reviewing journals
- Fluent spoken and written English, and conversant with French
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to generate new ideas and implement them
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team
- Work experience in West-African countries and willingness to travel is of an advantage
Applications including a covering letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation, and highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list a publications, with names addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional referees should be emailed to email@example.com. Please indicate “Data Management Scientist” in the subject line.
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial term of three (3) years.
Applications will be closed four weeks after publiation. Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.