WEST AFRICAN SCIENCE SERVICE CENTRE ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND ADAPTED LAND USE (WASCAL)
VACANCY FOR DIRECTOR OF CAPACITY BUILDING
Location: WASCAL Head Quarters, Accra, Ghana
Duration of contract: Three -years fixed term renewable contract
The West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use is an international organization set up by its 11 member countries – Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo together with Germany. WASCAL is a leading academic and trans-disciplinary research organization serving policy makers in West Africa with science-based advice on adaptation to climate change of land use and management. It cooperates with many agencies and universities in the region, providing a knowledge platform of excellence for its partners. WASCAL is linked closely with other international organizations in its mandate zone.
WASCAL has its headquarters in Accra, Ghana from where it coordinates 12 graduate schools at different lead universities in the West African Region and a Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. WASCAL invites applications for the position of Director of Capacity Building to lead the Graduate Studies Program of WASCAL. The position shall report to the Executive Director.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Capacity Building will provide scientific and academic Leadership and Management of the different Capacity Building Programmes and, in collaboration with the Director of Research, develop work plans for the Capacity Building Department to fulfill the objectives of WASCAL. As Head of Department, he/she plans and oversees capacity needs assessments of the Graduate Schools and gives direction for improvement.
He / She leads the development and the delivery of the Curricula Training programmes, manages and monitors the performances of his or her department and adjust work plans and quality of performance as necessary. He / She will build up the Network with the WASCAL Research Programme and among the lead Universities in the region and with WASCAL partners in overseas. The smooth administration and accounting of the programme is a central task in his/her portfolio.
He / She prepares status and management reports and other all other reports and feedbacks as required by Donors to meet the deadlines.
- Managing and coordinating the Capacity Building Programmes of WASCAL from the Headquarters in all respect and developing strategies to ensure effective achievement of WASCAL vision and scientific objectives;
- Collaborating with the regional and international scientific community for developing and maintaining effective partnerships and to ensuring that WASCAL’s Capacity Building Programmes is well positioned, demand-driven and responsive to current and future adaptation/mitigation challenges.
- Writing or editing and approving research proposals to be submitted to partners or donors for fund raising or joint research projects;
- Writing, editing and approving manuscripts for publication;
- Planning and developing curriculum for training programs
- Overseeing, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the Curricula at the Lead Universities;
- Organizing the Selection, the Supervision and the Evaluation of the Programmes to ensure efficiency;
- Overseeing the development and implementation of internal research policies and programmes and ensuring the application of scientific ethics, codes, rules, standards and guidelines;
- Any other duties that may be assigned to assist the Executive Director.
Desired Skills and Experiences
- PhD or its equivalent in Life, bio-physical or socio-economic sciences
- At least 5 years working experience preferably in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong academic record as evidenced in publications, with experience in interdisciplinary development research preferably with a climate focus.
- Considerable experience in administration and networking with regional and national agencies is expected.
- Extensive experiences in management of Capacity Building Programmes in lead position
- Experiences in Fund Raising negotiation with international partners
- Administrative and financial management skills
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop staff and to maintain good working relationships with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and an ability to approach regional leaders and donors;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Work experience in West-African countries and/or European countries and willingness to travel in the region is of an advantage.
Applications including a covering letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation, and highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list a publications, with names addresses, e-mail addresses of three professional referees should be emailed to email@example.com. Please indicate “Application for the position of Director of Capacity Building” in the subject line. The prospective candidate must come from WASCAL operating countries – Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, the Gambia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Togo and Senegal.
A fixed monthly salary package will be offered for the position. Other benefits will be included according to the WASCAL Staff Policy. WASCAL is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women to apply.
Applications will be accepted up to the 30th of August, 2019.
The position will be based at the WASCAL Headquarters in Accra, Ghana. Applications will be acknowledged but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For further information about WASCAL as institution, please visit www.wascal.org for further information.