Location: WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Duration of contract: 3 years fixed term renewable contract
Date of publication 1st June 2020
Closing date 30th June 2020
WASCAL seeks to hire Data Technician. This is a local position and shall be based at the WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems.
West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL) with support from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (BMBF) providing environmental and climate services. WASCAL therefore seeks to fill the position of Data Technician. The successful candidates will be expected to:
- Strongly collaborate with Data Management Department
and follow its guidelines
- Collate and organise all data and reports
- Upload data on WASCAL Data Portal regularly
- Write and send official administrative requests of data to partner institutions with approval from project team leader
- Closely work with WASCAL Scientists.
- Process/Transform data to meet data quality and data integration requirement
- Integrate/Load/Store data into various types of datasets/data stores/ databases
including file-based datasets, semantic data stores, traditional relational databases,
geo-databases, data warehouses, OLAP data cubes, etc.
- Help in administering WASCAL data and metadata geoportals in accordance with
WASCAL Data Sharing and Data Management Plan
- Help in conducting data management activities including:
- Data Provision service to researchers and students
- Installation, monitoring and administration of Automatic Weather Stations
- Administration of Sunflower server and platform
- Development of online
web data management apps for WASCAL projects
- Assist the Systems Administrator in providing IT support to Staff and stakeholders, including:
- Internet connection monitoring and troubleshooting for Office and house connections
- Emails creation and troubleshooting support
- WebEX Online meetings administration and support
- Security & Antivirus related support
- Various IT support and troubleshooting to scientists and administrative staff at CoC including software, hardware and internet connection fixing
- Liaising with IT
providers regarding IT purchases, maintenance, etc.
- Design, build, test, and maintain automated data integration/ETL processes.
- Design and implement data quality and data cleansing requirements and
- Manage scheduling, support, tools, and
maintenance of integration processes.
- Analyze and compile technical documentation as required by the donors
- Any other task that may be assigned from time to time by the DoR
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology, Engineering or a closely related field
- Extensive practical experience (minimum 3 years) working in a Unix/Linux environment as a Data[base] technician, IT officer including the integration of various end user operating systems (i.e. Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, VMWare), and common network protocols (ssh, ftp, etc.)
- Experience in the operation and administration of relational database management systems like PostgreSQL, PostGIS and MS ACCESS
- Excellent written and spoken communication in English and French. German language will be an advantage
- Experience with Content Management Systems such as Drupal, WordPress, Joomla,
- Knowledge of data management concepts and basic requirements
- Knowledge of system security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery
Applications including a covering letter (no more than two pages) highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae with names addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional referees should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries.
Applications will be accepted up to the 30th of June, 2020. Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.