Supervisor: WASCAL Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator
Country: Burkina Faso
Duty Station: Ouagadougou- Competence Centre
Duration: 3 years renewable contract subject to availability of funds
Type of position: Local
Expected Start Date: September 2023
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of twelve West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d ‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinée, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL, with support from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), is implementing Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen projects in the West African sub-region. WASCAL is seeking highly motivated and talented candidates to fill the position of Finance Assistant
Under close supervision from the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator, the successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- Monitor budgets and expenditures and contribute to budget planning and revision.
- Ensure the financial transactions are authorized, recorded, filed with adequate supporting documentation, and maintained.
- Prepare and submit timely and reliable financial updates, reports and statements.
- Support the conduct of financial audits of the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordination.
- Support the Renewable Energy Coordinator in administering recruitment and procurement of goods and services in collaboration with the involved responsible persons at WASCAL in accordance with WASCAL rules and procedures.
- Create, update and maintain organized files and records, ensuring the confidentiality of records.
- Assist in coordinating the travel of staff, consultants and senior partners.
- Assist in organizing and participate in work planning and progress reporting meetings;
- Assist in organizing meetings and events
- Assist in organizing Steering Committee meetings;
- Perform other relevant operational and administrative duties as relate to the implementation of the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen programme in West Africa.
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least a bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, Business/ Public Administration or another relevant field from a recognized educational institution).
- A minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience in at least three of the areas below:
financial accounting, monitoring and reporting, budget planning, processing of transactions, use of financial management systems, audit;
- procurement of goods and services, human resource support.
- event organization, travel organization.
- building and asset management; document and information management; operating IT systems (Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and provision of basic support.
- Experience in multi-currency accounting.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and the French
Applications, including a cover letter with a statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae should be emailed to email@example.com.
Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.
Closing Date: 20 August 2023 at 11:59 pm Ouagadougou time.