Type of contract: Post-Doctoral Study
Requirement: Doctorate holder
Start date: September 2023
Type of position: International
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of twelve West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d ‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinee, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
In 2020, WASCAL and The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) through its Project Management Agency Jülich (PT) signed the “CP_Go Green Go Africa – Coordination of Renewable Energy Programme. This project is a follow-up to the Hydrogen Partnership signed between BMBF Minister Mrs Anjan Karliczek and WASCAL Ministerial Council and Minister of Higher Education and Innovation of Niger in Berlin Germany 2020). I the framework of this partnership, WASCAL is implementing and coordinating several projects in related to Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen technologies. For the PV2H project in Burkina Faso, WASCAL is recruiting a postdoc specialised in solar PV technologies.
III. Duties and Responsibilities and Profile of the post-Doc
Under the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator, the post doc will conduct relevant research works related to solar energy systems, in particular environmental and climate challenges related to large grid connected solar plants in West Africa and the Sahelian zone. In this respect, the post doc will have to:
- Conduct relevant data collection for scientific, climate and environmental analysis in relationship with large solar plants;
- Carry out research works related to solar PV technologies and performance in West African context
- Conduct research on innovative technologies and methods for improvement of solar plants performance under west African climate conditions
- Conduct technical assessment of the improving technologies and methods and support economic studies related to the project
- Study and analyse green hydrogen production and use from solar PV in west Africa and the Sahelian zone,
- Draft scientific articles, policy briefs, develop technologies, methods and assessment of technologies and methodologies for improvement of solar PV plants production in west Africa
- Deal with any other task assigned to him by the project coordinator
IV. PROFILE OF THE POST-DOC
The Post Doc should be:
- A PhD holder with relevant knowledge in renewable Energy, solar energy, green hydrogen technologies, Engineering, and all related discipline
- In depth knowledge and relevant experience related to technical studies of solar technologies in particular solar PV performance and challenges in the West African region.
- Proficient in verbal and written English and French
V- DURATION OF THE CONTRACT
The initial contract will be for one year and may be extended for another one year based on results of performance assessment and funds availability.
IV -Application procedure:
Applications, including a cover letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation, and highlighting the candidate’s experience and curriculum vitae including names addresses and e-mail addresses of three referees should be emailed to email@example.com. Scanned copies of certificates must be attached (master’s and PhD). Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
Candidates must come from one of the ECOWAS member countries.
Applications will be accepted up to 20th August 2023. Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women are encouraged to apply.
Visit www.wascal.org for further information.