Supervisor: WASCAL Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator
Country: Burkina Faso
Duty Station: Ouagadougou- Competence Centre
Duration of the contract: two (2) years
Type of position: International
Expected Start Date: September 2023
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of 11 West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d ‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinee, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL seeks to recruit a Project Technical Assistant at its Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The candidate will be required to service WASCAL by supporting the PV2H project, funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF, under the guidance of the WASCAL Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator.
Brief description of the PV2H project:
The accelerated development of solar PV in West Africa responds to the urgent need to provide affordable access to energy for populations, contribute to global climate action and aspire to energy independence from fossil fuel. The massive infrastructures in operation and in perspective are built based on equipment whose technical characteristics are defined under standard conditions far from the climatic and environmental reality of the region in general and the Sahel in particular. Once installed, solar systems are affected by climatic and environmental conditions. The project aims to provide a concrete technical response to the negative impact of dust on solar PV power plants and to propose ways to optimise the production of Green Hydrogen from Solar PV systems under the specific climatic conditions of the Sahelian region in West Africa.
Under the direct supervision of the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator, the successful candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Assisting the project manager in coordinating and monitoring project activities, timelines, and deliverables. This may involve organizing meetings, preparing project documentation, and maintaining project schedules.
- Analysing data and preparing reports to support project decision-making and strategy development.
- Providing technical assistance and expertise in renewable energy and green hydrogen systems. This may include assisting in the design, implementation, and optimization of renewable energy projects and green hydrogen production facilities.
- Documenting project activities, including technical specifications, progress reports, and compliance requirements. Preparing project documentation for internal and external stakeholders and ensuring timely reporting.
- Collaborating with internal teams, external partners, and stakeholders to ensure effective communication and coordination throughout the project lifecycle. Participating in meetings, workshops, and conferences related to renewable energy and green hydrogen.
- Supporting quality assurance activities, including monitoring project performance, identifying risks, and proposing mitigation strategies. Assisting in the implementation of safety protocols and adherence to environmental standards.
- Budget and Resource Management: Assisting in budget planning, monitoring project expenses, and optimizing resource allocation. Supporting procurement processes and vendor management.
Qualifications and Skills:
Educational Background: A master’s degree in a relevant field such as Renewable Energy Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science, or a related discipline, with at least five (05) years of experience. A higher degree or specialization in renewable energy or hydrogen technologies is advantageous.
Knowledge of Renewable Energy: Strong understanding of renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro power. Familiarity with their generation, integration, and grid systems is important.
Green Hydrogen Expertise: Knowledge of green hydrogen production technologies and applications. Understanding of hydrogen storage, distribution, and utilization technologies in electricity sector, agriculture, industry, transport and other is beneficial.
Project Management: Excellent knowledge of project management principles, including project planning, coordination, and monitoring. Experience in assisting with project activities and adherence to timelines and deliverables.
Communication and Collaboration: Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with project stakeholders, team members, and external partners. Ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment and build relationships.
Problem-Solving: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues, propose solutions, and make informed decisions. Ability to troubleshoot technical problems and propose appropriate corrective actions.
Project Management Tools: Proficiency in project management tools and software for planning, scheduling, and monitoring project activities.
Applications, including a cover letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae should be emailed to email@example.com. Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.
Closing Date: 20 August 2023 at 11:59 pm Ouagadougou time.