Supervisor: WASCAL Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator
Country: Burkina Faso
Duty Station: Ouagadougou- Competence Centre
Duration: 03 years renewable contract subject to availability of funds
Type of position: InternationalExpected Start Date: September 2023
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d ‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinee Conakry, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL, with support from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), is implementing Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen projects in the West African sub-region. WASCAL is seeking highly motivated and talented candidates to fill the position of Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Technician.
Under close supervision from the Renewable Energy and Green Hydrogen Coordinator, the successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- Technical support the RE coordination team in the development and implementation of projects in West African countries
- Installation and Commissioning: Assist in the installation and commissioning of renewable energy systems. Additionally, contribute to the setup and calibration of green hydrogen production equipment.
- Maintenance and Repair: Conduct regular inspections, maintenance, and repairs of renewable energy systems and green hydrogen infrastructure. This includes troubleshooting, identifying issues, and replacing faulty components to ensure optimal system performance.
- Monitoring and Data Analysis: Monitor the performance of renewable energy systems and green hydrogen facilities using various tools and technologies. Analyze data collected from monitoring systems to identify trends, diagnose problems, and optimize system efficiency.
- Safety and Compliance: Adhere to safety protocols and guidelines while working on renewable energy systems and green hydrogen facilities. Ensure compliance with industry standards, regulations, and environmental requirements.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintain accurate records of maintenance activities, equipment inspections, and repairs performed. Prepare reports on system performance, maintenance schedules, and recommendations for improvements.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate with a team of engineers, technicians, and other stakeholders to coordinate activities and share knowledge. Communicate effectively to report progress, discuss challenges, and propose solutions.
- Training and Support: Provide technical support and training to colleagues and end-users on the operation and maintenance of renewable energy systems and green hydrogen equipment.
- Experience in project development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as renewable energy, green hydrogen, engineering, or environmental science and other related discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and installation of renewable energy infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of renewable energy technologies, such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric systems. Familiarity with green hydrogen production methods and equipment is also desirable.
- Electrical and Mechanical Skills: Proficiency in electrical wiring, circuitry, and troubleshooting. Knowledge of mechanical systems and components relevant to renewable energy and green hydrogen facilities.
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Abilities: Ability to analyze data, diagnose problems, and propose effective solutions. Strong troubleshooting skills to identify and resolve technical issues.
- Safety Consciousness: Knowledge of safety protocols and practices associated with working on renewable energy systems and hydrogen production facilities. Commitment to maintaining a safe working environment.
- Communication Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills to collaborate with team members, report findings, and provide user support.
- Physical Fitness: Physical stamina and the ability to work in challenging environments.
- Flexibility: Willingness to adapt to changing technologies, and work schedules, and travel to different locations as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and French
Applications, including a cover letter with a statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Applicants must come from ECOWAS member countries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please visit www.wascal.org for further information.
Closing Date: 20 August 2023 at 11:59 pm Ouagadougou time.